10 March 2011

Aspire

During all of my four years at BYU, this poster has hung on the wall above my bed:

Aspire to something higher. I don't often think about this mandate, but it's something I've been contemplating more recently. What are my aspirations? I aspire to make it through this semester. I aspire to graduating from BYU with my BS in Biostatistics. I aspire to be an editor. I aspire to serve others, now and throughout my life. I aspire to have good relationships with my family members. I aspire to have good friends that will last beyond this life. I aspire to be a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I aspire to be worthy of and hold a current temple recommend all of my life. I aspire to a lot of things, and, hopefully, they're all something higher than where I am currently. Isn't the point of life to be constantly improving, constantly learning? In the October 2007 Liahona, Elder David A Bednar stated:
One of the primary purposes of mortality is to learn—to gain knowledge and intelligence. Doctrine and Covenants 93:36 states, “The glory of God is intelligence.” You might think intelligence means being gifted in academic work, but intelligence also means applying the knowledge we obtain for righteous purposes. . . .
The real value of learning is that it enables you in any situation to be resourceful—to figure out what to do when you have no idea what to do! We are frequently taught in the scriptures to seek learning by study and by faith (see D&C 88:118). In our own lives, in our families, and in the Church, we can receive blessings of spiritual strength, direction, and protection as we seek by faith to gain intelligence and apply spiritual knowledge in righteousness.

So then why do I feel like so many others have lost their aspirations? I've talked to friends who have dropped out of school. I've talked to friends who have graduated, but aren't actively seeking jobs in their discipline. I've talked to friends who withdraw from classes because they don't want to apply themselves and learn. I've talked to friends who just stop going to class and doing assignments because they don't like the class. I've talked to friends who just don't care. I don't understand that at all. I maybe didn't pick my major before my freshman year and take the fast track to get out of school in just three and a half years (Not all of us can be as cool as Beka), but even when I was struggling to pick a major, I worked hard to do my best in every single class I was in. If I didn't like the class, working hard in it almost became a personal challenge to prove to a professor, or the class, or myself that I could do well. I haven't always gotten As in every class. In fact, I've gotten a lot of Bs, and a C, . . . and a D (probably could have worked a little harder in that class). But I don't understand not aspiring to do your best. To make the most of any situation you find yourself in.

Where it really scares me is in men. I've worked hard through school, but I feel like every guy I talk to all of a sudden has no aspirations. Or maybe they claim to, but their actions show otherwise. I like to have a lazy day now and then, but I can't handle laziness as a characteristic in someone that I'm going to invest myself in. I don't want to marry someone who is fundamentally lazy, who has no ambitions, no aspirations. Frankly, I don't want to date someone like that (you marry who you date). So, how do I find a guy that knows how to work hard, and then does it. Consistently. Everyone knows the saying actions speak louder than words, and from what I've seen in guys recently, not many of the ones I associate with have real aspirations.

I think it's a good thing I'm planning to move. I'm hoping that when I do, I'll meet guys who do have aspirations.

And go read this, if you're looking for some inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment