Yesterday I went to institute and had another AMAZING lesson. Chelsea Savio is an amazing teacher, in league with Brother Bartholomew! We talked about Alma 34-36, a conceptual understanding of the Atonement and then Alma's experiential understanding of the Atonement found in the powerful Chiasmus in chapter 36. Then, we discussed the parable of the Good Samaritan found in Luke 10, and she reminded me that it is about more than "being nice," but encompasses and teaches the Plan of Salvation. In answer to the rich young man's question "What shall I do to inherit eternal life?", the Savior taught the Plan of Happiness. So, pop quiz for myself on the symbols:
-Jerusalem: Heaven, the presence of God
-Jericho: Earth
-Fell: The Fall
-Thieves: Premeditated and planned, not robbers
-Stripped of his rainment: at that time, clothing showed your identity-where you were from, etc.
-Half Dead: Spiritual death, out of the presence of God, like all mortals
-Priest: Churches of the world
-Levite: Aaronic Priesthood, Law of Moses
-Samaritan: Christ, a halfbreed Gentile/Jew-like Christ was only half mortal
-Bound: Covenants and ordinances
-Oil: Annointing
-Wine: Atonement/Sacrament, the blood of Christ
-OWN beast: Atonement/Sacrament, taking our burdens on Himself
-Inn: the Church
-Host: Bishop, RS President, VT, HT, etc; Relationship of trust with the Savior already established if He can say He'll return later to repay
So, go read and study this again for yourself, because Christ taught exactly what we need to do to obtain eternal life. I love the Gospel and all of the ways my life is blessed because of it!
On a completely different note, today I was feeling the need for a break so I left my homework at home and took my camera down for a walk by the Provo River, which I've been wanting to do for weeks. I had fun watching the ducks and being amazed at the 4 Macey's shopping carts in the river. And I did get a couple of good pictures.
Also, the wedding is coming up fast-in a week I'll be back in Arizona for it. So, I'm spending my long President's Day Weekend home, and I haven't decided if I'd like to be alone or not; I'll be here with Emmaleigh and her fiance Jayson who's visiting from CA for the weekend. (They aren't really that bad, but it's fun to tease Emm about.) Anyway, I'll be spending the weekend trying to finish up projects and get ahead so that I won't have any homework to do while I'm home next week. Hopefully I'll take a break and watch the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics on Friday night.
No comments:
Post a Comment